Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"We Live in a Society!"

First of all, I must apologize for disappointing my readers for not posting yesterday, when I promised to post every day. The only excuse I have is that our internet was on the fritz, so now I'm attempting to make two posts for today. We shall see how that goes. Anyway, on with today's post.

The other night I'm sitting on the couch watching one of my new favorite shows, "Cake Boss." I like the show because it's about cakes and cake decorating, but it's also very amusing to watch the Italian owner who is so typically mobster Italian that he could be straight out of "Good Fellows." You constantly hear phrases such as, "Forget abOUTit" and "You gonna bust my balls over that?" which constantly cracks me up. Anyway, it's 9pm, Elisa and Rob have both long been in bed (Rob had to do a super early 2am shift) so I was thoroughly enjoying have both the living room and the T.V. to myself. Then I hear a quiet "knock, knock" on the door and cringe.

I open the door (did I mention that it's 9 o'clock at night on a weeknight and I'm in my pajamas about to go to bed soon?) and it's my landlord. He wants to check the satellite connection on our box because the other tenant's satellite is not working (he gets his satellite from our box). So I let him in, he checks it and then leaves. I'm then thoroughly annoyed. These little invasions of privacy for annoying little reason bug me to know end.

Our landlords are really nice enough people, but there are these little things that really get under my skin. For example, last Saturday my landlord knocked on our door and asked if Rob was home (Rob was at work, working a 10 hour day). I said that Rob wasn't home and then he said, "Oh, I was hoping to borrow his muscle." I said, "Well sorry he's not here" and closed the door. I was really glad that Rob wasn't there, because Rob wouldn't have said no, no matter how tired he was. I constantly tell Rob that it's not right of the landlord to ask his help all the time, Rob always replies, "Honey, how many times do I have to remind you that we live in a society?"

I guess when it comes right down to it, I am a pretty anti-social person at times. When I take the bus, I never make small talk with people. When I'm on my lunch break at work, I never sit in the lunch room for the simple fact that someone might be there who wants to waste my precious 30 minutes of "me time" by talking to me. I also refuse to be friends with someone who is constantly asking favors of me.

I can't count how many times I get annoyed at the landlords or different neighbours for different things. I hate that the new tenant besides us smokes and I have to walk through smoke to get to my own door. I hate it when the landlord knocks on our door, for any reason really. I hate that the landlords play music in their baby's room at night that we can hear in our bedroom.

Of course, the only person I can vent to about these things is Rob, who really doesn't want to hear it. He doesn't mind helping out the landlord once in a while. Rob was helped power washed the house and asked nothing in return. Why, you may ask does he do these things? My guess would be, because we live in a society, a concept I'm not quite sure if I will ever really understand.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on this one! My husband is the social butterfly between the 2 of us and he lives under the same philosophy. And guess what I don't get it either, maybe it's an extroverted male thing. funny post. take care.

    ReplyDelete