Thursday, August 20, 2009

Before Internet

Well, the blogging gods are certainly against me the last couple of days. Our internet at home has not been working the last couple of days. I'm assuming it's just an issue with our landlord's wireless router which will be resolved. So, today I was determined that I would be able to write today's blog post at work during my 30 minute break. I'm at work for about an hour, and my computer completely dies. I was computer less the rest of the day. I did what I could without a computer and borrowed people's when needed, but it didn't look like I was going to be able to go on the internet during my break.

I'm not really sure what I ever did before the internet. I've become so dependent on it. I remember hearing something about the internet and email when I was in high school, but of course I knew nothing of what it was. I remember going away to university in 1995. The university bragged that the dorm rooms had internet hooked up. I brought my ancient computer that I had bought second had two years prior and it certainly didn't have a modem. It was an old IBM computer, the kind with the black screens and the bright green writing that blinded you. I didn't have internet, but I did write quite a few essays on that thing. Since I was away from home, I was also very dependent on letters by mail. I would wait anxiously for the mail to come each day. I lived for those letters.

It was about a year later that a friend of mine showed me how to set up my first hotmail email account. After that I was hooked. I would check my email 50 million times a day, hoping for some new joke or forward from one of my friends.

Whenever I want to know something, Google is my best friend. Information is constantly at my fingertips. I'm sure Elisa will laugh at my when I tell her how "back in the old days we had to look information up in Encyclopedias."

However, there are some things that I miss. I love how fast email is, but there is nothing quite the same as getting a piece of mail and opening it up (when it's not a bill of course). Perhaps I'll try to teach Elisa about the art of letter writing, now that she is just starting to really be able to sound out words and wanting to practice her writing. Maybe I'll find a pen pal for her, or get her her first journal. I real, paper journal that she can put all her thoughts and feelings in.

Well, I'm going to go back home now to my home without internet. Whatever will I do with myself without my facebook and email? Well, as long as I still have my television then I'll be O.K. Heaven forbid if it was all taken away!

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog via the I love PERSONAL BLOGS thread on blogcatalog. =)
    I know!.. I can't remember what I used to do before internet got me hooked.
    I spend a damn lot of time on internet =S, I hate to admit=S ...
    There is so much more to life!
    I think it's so cool that you want to buy your daughter a journal ( I'm guessing she's your daughter )
    Greetings =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog. Yes, my daughter is six years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, it's been ages. You are in New West now? Cool - I always enjoyed that city, except for writing out my address when I lived there.
    Great pictures of Elisa on your mom's site - she is beautiful! :)

    Loche

    ReplyDelete