Friday, August 14, 2009

Playing Hooky

Today Elisa and I are playing hooky from work/daycare. O.K. we're not really playing hooky. When I woke Elisa up this morning to get ready, she had a really hard time getting out of bed. I then let her sleep an extra five minutes. I was stressing out a little bit about getting out of the house on time, since I still needed to stop at Safeway and get a fruit platter that I'd promised to bring for the potluck lunch at work today. The occasion that warranted today's potluck was that one of my co-workers was leaving to move to Calgary to be with her boyfriend that she met online (not that I'm knocking online dating, since that is how Rob and I met). If you are a Seinfeld fan at all, then you will know that episode when Elaine is so tired of all the parties at her office involving cake. Every opportunity to have a party, they take advantage of, and it gets old really fast. That is how I feel about potlucks.

Anyway, back to my morning..

After getting myself dressed, I went back to get Elisa out of bed. I had a tough (well, tougher than usual) time getting her out of bed. Once Elisa was finally dressed, she complained of a tummy ache and feeling icky. I felt her forehead and it felt a little warm. She wasn't deathly ill, but I certainly didn't mind keeping her home and using the opportunity to take the day off work.

First we passed the time by watching "The Jungle Book" Elisa curled up on the couch under my fluffy blue house coat. I found it amuzing when the Elephant patrol marching song came on. Elisa used to sing that song all the time after the first time she saw "The Jungle Book" but instead of saying, "... in the military style" she would always say, "... in the middle of terry style" which of course we thought was adorable.

After "The Jungle Book" I was looking for some kid shows for her to watch. "How about Dora?" nope, too old for that now. Nothing seemed to interest her, so then I found that teletoon was playing "retro" cartoons. I saw "Bugs Bunny and Looney Tune Friends" and thought "great, these are great cartoons that I used to watch as a child and Elisa will love this."

All I can say is, wow, I had no idea how politically incorrect cartoons used to be back in the day! Sylvester the cat is feeling guilty for trying to eat Tweetie Bird. He's having a conversation with his conscious, in which he tells he conscious to "SHUT UP" which bothered me a little bit, but I let it slide. A little while later, I see Sylvester chain smoking ten cigarettes at the same time while throwing back cups of coffee. That's when Elisa said, "oh mommy, he's smoking, that's not good."

My fond childhood memories of Saturday morning cartoons were definitely changed. I remember the coyote falling off huge cliffs while chasing the roadrunner, and never having a scratch on him, and it was funny. I remember Popeye eating a can of spinach (spinach from a can, ew at just the thought) and having super human strength. I guess the good old days are gone, or is that a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment